Technical Strategist 06 April 2012 05: 23 GMT
We would look for more USD bids with an as expected or better than expected showing, while a disappointing result could weigh a bit on the Greenback. Nevertheless, given the Fed's recent shift away from additional stimulus, it would probably take a really bad number to rock the boat and open a resurgence in broad based US Dollar weakness. Truthfully, even a bad number could be positive USD if markets take it as a global macro risk off sign and feel that more liquidation of risk correlated assets is warranted in favor of the safer buck. Technically, there is some solid internal support from February and March down by 1.3000 in EUR/USD, and the risks are for some form of a consolidation or bounce once this level is retested. Meanwhile, on the other side of the ocean, economic data has been less than impressive to say the least, and the ongoing struggles in both the Eurozone and UK economies do not support the notion of wanting to be long the Euro or Pound against the buck. Elsewhere, the Franc has started to find some relative bids, and the price action here has been most compelling with the EUR/CHF cross rate testing the highly publicized 1.2000 floor that the SNB has said they would defend aggressively. The risk liquidation theme that has taken hold of markets this week has not been a welcome development for the SNB (the risk off price action makes the Franc naturally attractive given its traditional attributes), and if the central bank is going to act, it might have to be very soon. Otherwise, a sustained break below 1.2000 would seriously undermine the SNB's credibility and open a rapid deterioration in the cross rate. At this point however it would be surprising to see such a scenario play out and we suspect that the SNB will be very ready to back up its talk with action.
GBP/USD: Failure to establish any fresh momentum following the break above 1.6000, followed by an aggressive bearish reversal now suggests that the market could finally be looking to carve a top in favor of a more significant decline over the coming sessions. Look for a break and closed below next support at 1.5830 to reaffirm outlook, while back above 1.6065 would be required to negate.
USD/CHF: Our core constructive outlook remains well intact with the latest setbacks very well supported by psychological barriers at 0.9000. It now looks as though the market could be looking to carve a fresh higher low, and we will be looking for additional upside back towards the recent range highs at 0.9335 over the coming sessions. Above 0.9335 should then accelerate gains towards the 2012 highs by 0.9600 further up. Ultimately, only back under 0.9000 delays and gives reason for pause.


